Wednesday 5 September 2012

More Climbing


After Ressachaux I was invited to do Roc d'Enfer, a slightly higher mountain (2244m) out the back of Les Gets. Expecting a similar walk, I thought I'd give it a go. Well, it was more a climb than a walk for several bits. A knife edge ridge high above the valley below. Lots of clinging to what were essentially cliffs, hoping not to fall off.

I don't think it was as insane as it felt to me, I think I just don't quite have the head for heights that I thought I had. Either way, it was the most scared I've ever been. In the photo above, you can see part of the ridge we climbed across. I was very, very happy to turn off the ridge and take a (still fairly steep) path back down to the bottom. Paul's punishment for throwing snow at me was a lesson in geology, all the way down the near 1000m descent.

I think I'll cancel my plans for a quick jaunt up the north face of the Eiger, and stick to mountain biking. Which I suppose is equally dangerous. Fear is a strange thing.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you told me about it when you were safely back at home!

    ReplyDelete